Checking Out Materials
Use these guidelines when borrowing material from the library:
- Please present your own card to check out or renew materials. Family members cannot pick up requested items for other family members unless they present the requestor’s card or unless the requestor has previously granted permission for this and a message on the requestor’s library record indicates this.
- You are responsible for all materials checked out on your card.
- Parents/Guardians are responsible for all use of the library by minor children.
- Please reference your checkout receipt to keep track of item due dates or monitor your account online for due dates.
- You may sign up for a courtesy reminder by providing an email address to the library and agreeing to have all overdue notices sent via email. A reminder will be sent to you 3 days prior to the due date.
Material Types & Circulation Period
- Most books are checked out for a period of 3 weeks. Unless someone else has requested it, items can generally be renewed up to 3 times for an additional 3 weeks per renewal.
- Books that are very popular, audio visual materials, children’s puppet kits, and magazines circulate for 1 week and may be renewed if no one else is waiting for them.
- Interlibrary Loan check out periods are set by the library who sends the item. Renewals are not guaranteed but may be requested.
- eBooks are loaned for 14 days and cannot be renewed. Items are returned automatically.
- eAudiobooks are loaned for 2 or 3 weeks depending on the provider and are also returned automatically.
GRACE PERIOD: All DCL materials have a 7 day grace period after their due date during which fines are waived if the material is returned within the 7 day grace period.
OVERDUE FEES: Adult materials accumulate fees at a rate of 10 cents per day per item. Children’s materials accumulate fees at a rate of 5 cents per day per item.
Items may be renewed up to 3 times as long as they are not reserved by another user. Choose the most convenient option:
- By phone: 641-236-2661
- By logging in to your account online
- In person at the library (do not need to have the materials with you)
Renewals of Interlibrary Loan materials are set by the lending library. Please contact Drake Community Library at least 2 days prior to the due date of the item to request a renewal.